February 2010
We've got a new LGD, Sinbad, started on the farm. Sinbad was put into a small pen with a few
goats to get him bonded with them before put into a larger pasture. Obviously one of our other
LGD's didn't like the idea of him being in a pen with "their" goats. Sinbad must have gotten too
close to the fence (it joins our main pasture) and somebody got a hold of him through it. There
was hair and blood on the fence, so we know where it happened, but not sure which one of the
3 LGD's did it. Shane believes all of them got in on it. He called the vet and he gave us a spray
to spray his wound with as well as antibiotics. It is really looking a lot better. I am posting this
picture from a distance, because an up close photo may be too "grotesque" for some. He had 3
different wounds, but the one on his side was at least 5"X4"; you could see the muscle. It was
awful. I am really amazed how well it is closing up without having stitches.

Shane pointed out that in the background of the photo you can see Kimba looking through the
fence at Sinbad.  That is the fence where the fight occurred.  We now have Sinbad moved into
the buck pen with Pistol Pete and Rooster, the senior bucks.  So far, he has done exceptionally

The photo below is an updated one of how well his wounds are healing.  The one on his neck
has completely healed and the larger one on his side is healing nicely.
Hmmm....Can you tell which
field by the roadside our
goats are located?

We will be moving the goats
to the pasture on the other
side of the road pretty soon,
so the view will be much
nicer with clean fence rows
on both sides.
(Click on pedigree for larger view)
Year to date FAMACHA score average: (2.4)
Shane took 2 loads of cows to the stockyard this month.  In all he took 17 cows, 5 calves, and
our bull Mojo.   It was sad to see them go, but we do not have enough hay to carry them
through until it starts to green up around here. Shane had already purchased 40 rolls of hay on
top of what he had stored. It has been unusually cold and wet this winter; and those cows and
goats have went through the hay. As I mentioned before, our rye grass hasn't produced
anything due to the snow and hard freezes. We'll have to see what we'll do when warm weather
comes. We are looking at cleaning the fences of the back 40 acres,and running a strand of hot
wire around it to start a commercial goat herd.

The small herd of cows we have left were turned out into our "hayfields" that have been
planted in rye grass and clover.  It hasn't done much, but there was a little out there for them to
nibble at for about a week.  These are photos of our wonder border collie Davie, doing her job.  
The cows had to be moved back to the back with   

Our hay supply in the barn is dwindling down.  This photo is what it looks like now.  There are
maybe 15 rolls of hay behind me.  This area is usually would still have hay  stacked in it.  I can't
wait for warmer weather for the greener grass and not needing anymore hay!
Mallory's horse has been put in the pasture with six 1 year old bucklings.  She seems to get
along with them pretty good, the LGD is another story.  She is a little frisky with the cold
weather and the bucklings aren't sure what to think of her when she gets spunky.  We are really
enjoying having a horse around the farm and hope to get more one day.  I personally have no
experience with horses, but would love to expand my knowledge.  I think having the animals
for the kids on the farm is a wonderful learning experience.