May 2010
We have gotten electric fencing around part of our hayfield this past month, so we moved our doe
herd around  the pond to let them clean up all of the brush over there.  Boy have they done some
work!  There is no telling how long those briars and brush have been growing around that pond.
There are briars that have grown into a pile that is about  5 feet tall and at least 8 feet wide.  When
those goats were turned into that field they went straight to work....  Some even decided to go for
a dip in the pond to get to some special treats.  We caught a few does out in the pond eating on
these trees.  I always thought goats didn't like water, but I'd have to say if there's something
worth eating out there, they will tread water!
I took this picture so you could see how thick the stems on the briars were.  They were
chewing them down like they were licorice sticks; not briars with thorns.  I am still so amazed
how goats eat forage that a cow wouldn't even consider.  They go so well together.  They eat
things the cows aren't interested in and the cows do the same as well.  
We now have the final five bucks that have made the cut from our 2009 crop for sale.  These
bucks have performed well under our management practices.  If you would like to know more
about them, check out our
for sale page.  We have all the information available on them there.    
Their DNA samples have been sent in and their
final weights were taken last week.   This
information is also on the
for sale page.   These
bucks will be AKGA registered.
Our cow herd has been built back up to about 42+ head.  Shane has had a buyer purchase him
several heifers.  Some are open ready to breed and some are heavy bred.  Our biggest
concern is getting the grass under control here.  We have plenty of it, and need the mouths
to eat it down.  This is just a sample of some of the heifers brought to our farm to do some
intensive grazing.   
I had to share this picture with you and a brief story about this cow.  She came here looking
beat up and poor as ever.  Shane noticed that she was starting to get pink eye after being here
for a few days.  He had to separate her from the rest of the group and start treating that eye.  
That's what we had to do with two of our does this winter when they got it from all of those
hay shakes falling in their eyes.  

It seemed pretty simple, but boy was Shane wrong.  This has to be the most psychotic cow I
have ever encountered, more stubborn than our mules and crazy/wild.  She would try to take
you down from inside the catch pen.  Shane had a time with her every day.  He would narrowly
escape being trampled by her many times throughout her eye treatments.  Now we know why
she was so beat up, she was crazy when it came to containing her in a pen.  She beat herself
up even more.  Finally here eye cleared up and she is now out with the herd, but she hasn't
forgotten the catch pen ordeals.  She still has that wild/crazy look in her eye.  This photo is of
her about to charge at me for standing too close to the pen..
For Mother's Day, Shane got me a horse.  We already had 1 horse that Mallory had gotten for
Christmas.  We always said that we didn't have time for horses and would never get any; but
things have changed.   Shane has been working with him for a little while now because he had
never been ridden, but  has a very loving/gentle personality.  So far, he had done real well.  So
here he is.......Meet Sonny.........
Since I had been a total chicken to ride Sonny ( I have no experience at riding horses), Shane
had located a horse that my uncle used to own a few years ago, unbeknown to me.   I had
ridden it at his house one time and he was so perfect for me.  I had been wishing I could find a
horse that was dead broke like him that I could start out on.  Lo and behold, Shane drove up
one day with 3 horsed in the trailer.  He found who had purchased the horses from my uncle
and bought all of their horses including the one I loved.  They are in very poor condition.  They
are going to need to be conditioned before we ride them.  Shane said that they had absolutely
nothing to eat where they were.  Here are some pictures of the day they arrived.
Big Red
(the one for me)
Last week, we turned the doe herd out into the main hayfield.  The thing is, only the road
frontage is "goat proof".  I has hot wire and old net fence.  The back side which is nothing but
bordered by National Forrest is only secured with a few strands of barbed wire that is so old
and rusty.  To our disbelief, the does along with all three guardians stay right in the hayfield.  
They work on the wood line but do not go through the barbed wire fence.  At the end of the day,
they come back to the pond area and bed down for the night.  As you can see we have plenty of
grasses/weeds for them.  It looks brown and dead, but that's just  the winter rye grass dying
off.  There is lots of green under all of that.  
Baseball season is now over for us.  Dillon had a great season!  He hit his first home run this
year!  He is already ready for baseball season next year!
I am always excited when we have a guardian that bonds with the goats and exhibits
great LGD potential, and Xena has done just that!  She is 5 months old and has started
staying with our buck herd at all times.  She gets out with them all day while they are
grazing.  Just because a dog is a guardian breed does not mean they will guard
effectively.  I feel like she has bonded with them and will do a fantastic job of guarding.  
She is guarding the bucks along with Sinbad.  We separated her from her mother (Jael)
when she was about three months old.  She is the daughter of 2 of our top LGD's,
Kimba and Jael.  You can see their photos on our
Guardian page.