December 2009

What a busy time we have had with this last kidding! It all started with a doe having triplets on
December 15. All went really well except one of her kids back legs seemed to be really weak.
She was really unable to keep up with the other two. I wondered if she would be able to make it.
Her dam kept up with her and now if you'd look at her, you wouldn't know anything had been
different with her back legs. She is the strongest and fasted of the group. Her legs are normal
now. Anyway, no other goat kidded that day. The next day, we had another set of triplets in the
field right in front of our house. I went out and tagged and weighed them when they were about
4 hours old. They were looking great, strong and healthy. Then came the rain.......

It was a light rain and all of the goats seemed to be handling it well. They are used to the rain
and they were all kind of under a few trees or the eave of the barn. We had a first timer to kid out
in the wide open field in the rain with temperatures in the 40's.  She stood there over her twins
and provided a shelter for them. We ended up having 11 kids born during that day. Then
nightfall came along with a heavier rain and the temp started dropping down to the 30's. Shane
came home from work and went down and opened the gate that led to an old hog barn. He said
the goats wouldn't budge. They are not used to shelter so they didn't know what in the world
he was doing. He and I ended up going out with our Kawasaki mule and would locate a doe
with her kids. I would get the kids up front in a clothes basket and he would grab their dam (
that was a sight!) and jump on the back of the mule with them and tell me to go! We drove them
to the old barn and placed their kids under the shelter and would put the doe with them. Then
we would head out and find more and do the same. During the night we ended up having 8
more kids born in that storm. Two sets of triplets and a set of twins. It was such a cold hard
rain. We couldn't get the does to come up to the shelter, and they went off down in the bottom
where we couldn't get to them. It was super muddy and the hill was so steep to climb out.  
Shane was out in that bad weather until 12:30 and we still lost 8 kids that night. The weather
finally give us a break so the rest of the herd could finish kidding.

We did end up losing 4 more kids due to being too weak and could not keep up with their dam.
We have decided not to do bottle feeding. So far, the kids we have left, are doing great and they
seem to be growing good. We did decide to help one that was found in the rain clinging for his
life, we brought him inside to warm up. We placed him in a hot tub of water until his temp was
back to normal, then Ashley tube fed him twice. We decided to keep him inside for the night and
we would place him back with his mom the next day. The next day we placed the kid with his
mom and she rejected him due to us washing him which washed his scent away. We had to
build a small pen for him, his mom and sister, so we could make her nurse. After a week of this
she finally decides to take him back and they are out on their own doing great.
                                (This is just a sample of our kid crop from that week)


With all that said we had 25 does kid in 7 days and we ended up with 53 kids. We had 6 sets of
triplets, 16 sets of twins, and 3 singles. Subtract the loss and we currently have 41 healthy kids.
We expect 6 does that we bred later to kid in the next few months to add to the list.

Something else to add to all the exitment around here is one of our guardians was getting
ready to have pups, and she decided to take a few kids as her own. She started nursing them
and would not let the does have them back. We noticed a kid missing and the guardian had
kidnaped the kid and taken the kid in a cave dug out under a old tree where she had a single
pup. Shane had to crawl in on his stomach to get the kid, dog, and pup out of the hole. We then
placed the dog in a pen for her to nurse her pup, so she would leave the kids alone.  We feel
since Kimba the male LGD was only 10 month's old at the time of breeding is the reason why
Jael only had one pup.  The other female, Eve was also bred to Kimba but she didn't take.

This is Buddy, the new apprentice at Deep South Kikos.  He has come to visit his mother, who
happens to be our neighbor, and stopped by to see the farm.  He has showed a lot of interest in
all of the livestock that is being raised here.  He is very eager to help and learn all there is to
know about raising livestock.
You want to know how to control parasites with your goats?  Teach them to climb
trees.  This is going to be a new characteristic of DSK goats.  They must learn to
climb trees in order to eat.
(Click on photos)
(Click on pedigree for larger view)
Year to date FAMACHA score average: ( 2.0 )